Let me help you pick that up!

A few weeks ago, Laity Sunday was celebrated in the United Methodist Church. Some had major productions, yet others a mere mention. The role of laity in the church is often overlooked, under appreciated and sorely understaffed. We have all heard the 10% rule, that 10% do all the work for the other 90%. Although I am not sure of that statistic, I think we have a tendency to seek out the same volunteers time and time again, without regard to their limited time and talents.

This takes me back a few years ago to the Northwest Texas Conference’s ordination service. As the ordinands processed to the alter, I noticed an elderly woman with a cane making the walk. When it came her time to receive the Bishop’s blessing and receive her stole, she set her cane aside and knelt. Upon the completion of this moment, she needed assistance to rise to her feet.

It was at this time that I realized that the stole she received was of great weight. It carries the weight of taking on the hopes, dreams and trials of her congregants. The responsibility of baptisms, confirmations, communion, weddings and funerals can bow the hardiest of backs.

Add to this, administrative roles of ministry, both in the church and in the community, responsibilities to the District and Conference, and the pastor’s familial responsibilities.

What impressed at that ordination service, was how quickly those observing rushed to help the ordinand to raise tall to take her role as an elder in her Church. Those on her arms were both clergy and laity.

Well, isn’t that the role of laity? Shouldn’t we be there to lift our clergy and our church so both can be the best possible? Our pastors carry a heavy load for us, how can we help? The strength of our Church is dependent on all of us, clergy and laity, sharing in the burden that is doing the work of the Church.

Advertisements

About Vince Gonzales

United Methodist Laity, married to a recent Seminary graduate seeking ordination. Active at all levels of the Church, I sit on the Board of The General Commission on Religion and Race of The United Methodist Church, one of our 13 UMC Agencies. I also am the Chair of the Racial and Social Justice Task Force of Churches Uniting in Christ, an ecumenical group of communions, dedicated to the reconciliation of ministries and fighting racism, as well as representing the UMC at Christian Churches Together's Hispanic/Latinx Ministry Gatherings. Additionally, I am one of two committee members from the South Central Jurisdiction serving on the DisAbility Ministries Committee of the UMC. My polity pendulum often swings to both extremes so one never knows what they might find on this page!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s